The province of Veraguas was founded in june 9th of 1508.
It limits to the north with the Caribbean Sea. To the south with the Pacific Ocean, to the east with the provinces of Colon, Coclé, Herrera and Los Santos and to the west with the province of Chiriquí and the Ngöbe-Buglé region.
It’s the only province of Panama that has shores in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. It’s divided in 12 districts: Atalaya, Calobre, Cañazas, La Mesa, Las Palmas, Mariato, Montijo, Río de Jesús, San Francisco, Santa Fe, Santiago and Soná. It’s capital is the city of Santiago of Veraguas.
The province of Veraguas, also called the government of Veragua during the Spanish imperial era, was created as an administrative and territorial entity within the Viceroyalty of New Spain, and its jurisdiction was later transferred to the Viceroyalty of Peru. It was erected in 1560 in the territories of the old dukedom of the same name, whose first governor was Francisco Vázquez.
The first populations to be founded in the territory of Veraguas were Santa Cruz (later called Villa de Los Santos), on the banks of the Cubita River; Santa Elena (now Santo Domingo de Parita), in the vicinity of the Parita river; and Santiago de Olá, about two leagues from the city of Natá. The idea behind these foundations, all occurring between 1550 and 1570, was to induce the Indians to live together in villages, a task in which the Dominican friar Pedro de Santa María lent his support.
During the emancipation of the American colonies, Veraguas remained at first faithful to the Spanish crown, for which reason it rejected its union with the United Provinces of New Granada, and served together with Panama as a deposit of troops and elements of war that were they organized and prepared to fight the patriots of the revolution in Quito and on the Atlantic coast of New Granada, and to help the faithful square of Santa Marta. However, by 1815 the situation changed and the patriots began to gain ground commanded by José de Fábrega, so much so that the province declared itself independent in 1821 and declared itself annexed to the Republic of Colombia by the liberator Simón Bolívar.